I had an absolute blast in our morning exercise group this morning and just wanted to share a few of our interventions
- Warm up/stretching to “White Christmas” by the Drifters
- Mararaca dance to “Feliz Navidad”
- Snow movements to the tune of “London Bridges” (explanation below)
- [Recycled paper] Snowball fight
- Cool down to Bing Crosby “White Christmas”
For our snow song, we divided the residents into 5 small groups. Each group was assigned one of the following verses and given a corresponding instrument or movement. Each line was followed by “Snow is falling,” to which everyone would do a snowfalling motion. My co-workers helped me demonstrate this activity in the video below!
- Snowflakes swirling through the air (White Scarves)
- Teeth they chatter in the cold (Hand Clappers)
- Make an angel in the snow (Snow Angel Motion)
- Stomp stomp stomp right through the drifts (Paddle Drum)
- Shake the snowflakes from your coat (Jingle Bell Slap Bracelets)
For the “snowball fight,” we divided the residents into two teams. Each person was given a stack of paper from the recycle bin. When the music started, they had to crumple up the paper into a “snowball” and throw it into a hula hoop that was placed just out of reach on the ground. The team who got the most in the hoop by the end of the song won. I chose a 2 minute song with fast/frantic pace to get them rollin’ and throwin’!